If you have indoor cats, a great thing to do for them is to grow some wheatgrass. It takes little effort on your part, and they love it.
Here are some benefits of having wheatgrass available for your cats:
- Flushes toxins
- Helps digestion and breaks down hairballs
- Help them expel hairballs by throwing them up
- Lots of vitamins and minerals
- They love chewing it, laying on it, etc.
And here’s what I use to have efficiency and quality in cheapest way possible:
- You’ll need a container. I use this one: Catit Senses Planter. Here’s why: the cats tend to rip out the grass if you don’t have some kind of grid covering it to prevent them knocking it over and ripping out the whole thing at once, soil and all (the roots get really tangled up and come out all as one blob if this happens with a normal container.
- Get you some soil. I use Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix, but wheatgrass isn’t picky, you can use any soil you have on hand. Use 1 cup.
- Now for the seeds: it’s cheaper to buy in bulk. Here’s what I personally get: Hard Red Wheatgrass – 5 Lb. You’ll use about 1/4 cup per planting.
- You’ll also need some water, and measuring cups if you’re very particular about the exact amounts, but really, you can just eyeball it.
How to plant the wheatgrass:
- Gather your ingredients
- Take apart the planter into all three pieces
- Fill the small inner container with your soil. About 1 cup will do
- Add the seeds. About 1/4 cup, but a bit more if you want it to grow super thick
- Mix up the seeds with the soil. Don’t worry if they’re not all entirely covered, they’re not picky about it 🙂
- Put the planter back together, first the green top, then into the outer container
- Add some water, about a 1/4 cup, but I eyeball it. Just enough to moisten the soil
- Set in a dark place at room temperature (or a bit warm and humid) for a few days while the seeds sprout. Once that happens, put them where they can get some light. When the plants get about 2 inches tall, present them to your kitties and watch them fall in love with grass!